Note to those who have purchased the full version: these updates are all free. If you have changed your email address, be sure to keep us up to date by sending us your name and new email address so that you can be advised of new releases. If you are using some sort of spam control, be sure to put "braser.com" (without the quotes) on your "whitelist" (addresses which will pass the control) or you may not receive the upgrade notices.
What's new in StartSpanish:
- Minor update: updated help files and made a few minor internal changes.
- New: StartSpanish now uses Unicode which will improve performance on Windows Vista and Windows 7/8 as well as on Windows XP.
- New: you can now save sound files to listen to on your MP3 player.
- New: added button to control text size on different exercise screens.
- New: The Full version is now optionally available on a CD.
- Improved printing routine when printing log or program statistics.
- Improved visual presentation of log file.
- The Options screen has been redesigned for improved clarity and ease of use.
- All screens now show correctly when using Windows large fonts.
- Many more small fixes and enhancements - too numerous to list here - to improve both the program both visually and to make it easier to use.
- Internal changes to the way sound is produced. It should provide quicker reproduction time especially on slower systems.
- Recording your own voice no longer has a seven second limit and produces clearer sounding results.
- Redesigned button and recording system for the Listening exercises screen.
- Rewrote some of the topic explanation text.
- Added new Listen-Pronunciation screen where you can listen to the vocabulary presented in the program independently of the exercises. You can also record yourself and compare your pronunciation with that of the native speaker.
- A complete redo of the sound files included in the program by professional native speakers with neutral Latin American accents.
- Additional new sound vocabulary.
- Exercise sound files now highlight the word or phrase being pronounced.
- Other minor internal improvements.
- This upgrade is free for already registered users.
- Updated two core html and mp3 elements, mainly for Vista. NOTE: most registered users will not need this upgrade.
- Added new sound files. You can now listen to the vocabulary used in the topic exercises.
- Fixed problem after answering last question in some exercises.
- Fixed evaluation of some answers in non-verb exercises.
- Question text turns light gray after answering to make it more obvious that the current question has been answered.
- Now fully ready for Windows Vista
- Corrected computation of missed and correct questions and statistics in the exercises.
- Rearranged and renamed items on the Options form to simplify its usage
- Maintenance release with Vista preparation: all files now install into user account directories so that individual versions can be installed in limited accounts. (by request - most users will not need this update).
- System administrators (such as language lab supervisors) can set a password to control access to program options and to view or delete the log.
- You can set the maximum number of questions to be practiced in the exercises.
- Exercises will accept abbreviations for 'usted' and 'ustedes', such as 'ud.' and 'uds.'.
- Support for skins has been dropped, but the program now reflects your own Windows Color scheme.
- Correct and incorrect sound indicators have been changed, plus made easier to change to your own liking.
- Log form font size matches the main font size used in the program.
- Subject pronouns are now optional in subjunctive form exercises.
- Maximize and mimimize windows works properly between sessions
- Minor cosmetic fixes such as Next button background in Exercise window
- Internal improvements for speed and precision
- Change appearance box removed from Main screen (still available in Options)
- Main screen slider bar now works properly
- Removed Check Printer before printing option since it was causing problems in some versions of Windows XP
- added new vocabulary to some exercises
- you can now answer direct and indirect object exercises without typing in the subject
- enhanced explanations in some topics
- corrected text in some of the exercises
- fixed checking of Spanish to English and English to Spanish checkboxes on main page