Note to those who have purchased the full version: these updates are all free. If you have changed your email address, be sure to keep us up to date by sending us your name and new email address so that you can be advised of new releases. If you are using some sort of spam control, be sure to put "braser.com" (without the quotes) on your "whitelist" (addresses which will pass the control) or you may not receive the upgrade notices.
What's new in Spanish Whiz:
- New: Spanish Whiz now uses Unicode which will improve performance on Windows Vista and Windows 7/8 as well as on Windows XP.
- New: you can now save sound files to listen to on your MP3 player.
- New: added button to control text size on different exercise screens.
- New: The Full version is now available as a download (so you can get it immediately) with an option to have it sent to you on a CD.
- Exercise screen backgrounds are now white to make them easier to read.
- Improved printing routine when printing personal lists, log or program statistics.
- Improved visual presentation of log file.
- Added caption for Windows when printing personal lists in order to make it easier to cancel a print job.
- All exercises and games now show correctly when using Windows large fonts.
- The Options screen has been redesigned for improved clarity and ease of use.
- Fixed: Dictation was not writing repeated question results to the log file.
- Fixed: problem when opening some personal list multiple choice question lists for editing.
- Fixed: problem when opening both Question translations and Answer translations in the Question-Answer and Opposites games.
- Fixed: problem when restoring deleted 'El or La' and 'Adverbs and Prepositions' questions.
- Fixed: problem when setting password for the first time.
- Many more small fixes and enhancements - too numerous to list here - to improve both the program both visually and to make it easier to use.
- Internal changes to the way sound is produced. It should provide quicker reproduction time especially on slower systems.
- The Translation screen that corresponds to the Listening exercises now marks the translation along with the Spanish word in Spanish.
- Recording your own voice no longer has a seven second limit and produces clearer sounding results.
- Redesigned button and recording system for the Listening exercises screen.
- Fixed icons in the Subjunctive Forms screen.
- Fixed change time dialog in Subjunctive Forms screen.
- Fixed a bug when canceling a multiple choice quiz and trying to close the program.
- You can now repeat missed questons in Dictations.
- Keyboard logic when moving through dicatation exercises corrected.
- Most incorrect punctuation in dictations is not counted wrong now (for example, forgetting commas or question marks).
- Vocabulary text corrections.
- Scrambled game now shows English on right after getting a correct answer on the Spanish word in all games you can now set the maximum starting points. The log file shows both scores and starting points.
- Dictionaries Help topic shown when Options page is on the Edit Personal Dictionary tabsheet.
- Spanish Whiz now comes in two versions: a Standard Edition and a CD Edition. You can compare the differences here. NOTE: Registered users of the Spanish Whiz Standard Edition can upgrade to the CD Edtion at any time for a special price of $14.95. Please contact us for details if you have already purchased Spanish Whiz in the past.
- Added new sound files to the Standard Edition for listening-pronunciation, dictations and listening games.
- Added two new Listening Games: Opposites and Question-Answer.
- Fixed several minor issues in the way the Dictation exercises work.
- A number of internal improvements for improved performance.
- Corrects addition of words to Personal Lists - screen is no longer closed after adding a word.
- Automatically adds the words to the Personal Lists - you no longer have to type them in.
- Fixed problem when deleting repeated items.
- Internal improvements of memory management for improved performance.
- Several minor fixes of buttons, captions, etc.
- Maintenance release with Vista preparation: all files now install into user account directories so that individual versions can be installed in limited accounts. (By request - most users will not need this update).
- All exercise screens are now shown in one container rather than having individual floating screens.
- Support for skins has been dropped, but the program now reflects your own Windows Color scheme.
- The filter to screen out the vosotros form now works on all files, not just on verb conjugations.
- New personal lists are now created by the program, rather than relying on an existing lists.
- Listen screen issue fixed where word was played again after closing the help or translation screens.
- Added a 'Pass' option to the 'What Did You Say' game.
- 'What Did You Say' game now leaves correct answers on screen.
- Card-matching game now leaves correct answers on screen.
- Corrected typos, especially in Subjunctive Forms.
- You've now got to finish all the entries in the games in order to record the scores - no more point stuffing!
- Fixed repeating questions in Subjunctive Forms.
- Fixed 'Last Question' message in Subjunctive Forms.
- Fixed 'Delete Question' operation in Subjunctive Forms.
- Added 'What Now' menu after finishing the Dictation exercises.
- The program shows games and exercise screens correctly when using either large or small fonts.
- Put password controls in a separate menu.
- You can delete words and phrases from the Spanish Whiz program lists so that you don't have to practice the ones you already know well or aren't interested in.
- You can restore the above if you change your mind later on.
- You can see statistics to know how many questions there are in each section and how many you have deleted.
- The Sound files have been redone with new technology resulting in much better quality.
- Added new sentence dictation sound files.
- The adjective list (333 words) which appeared in version 6.6 has been corrected and extended, and divided into two groups of lesser and greater difficulty (Levels 1 and 2)
- Password control has been added to change Options, Delete Questions, and / or modify Personal Lists. This will be of special interest to schools with site licenses where one (or more) teachers control the program's operation and want to limit students' access to certain parts.
- The Extra Sound Pack has many new files, including new sentence dictation files.
- New Personal Dictionary editor which allows you to correct entries and add large numbers of new words easily.
- The repeat question button shows the number of questions to be repeated.
- The Jokes button on the main screen opens the joke file or the level you are working with.
- The log window now reopens maximized if you closed it maximized.
- Fixed Personal List Multiple Choice check for when there are less than 5 questions.
- Removed Printer Status check which caused problems on XP.
- You can choose whether to show the button toolbar on the main screen.
- Fixed background color on correct-incorrect icons.
- Skins are now changed in Options and a skins help file topic has been added.
- The default 'right' and 'wrong' sounds have been changed.
- You can choose whether to use the 'right' and 'wrong' sounds on the exercise page, without having to go to Options.
- Fixed Log columns alignment.
- Dictation plays sound when 'next question' is presented, without having to click on 'Listen'.
- Add to Dictionary help file topic corrected and updated.
- Windows upper-right corner Close button works in MC and Fill editors.
- Put Windows upper-right corner Close button works in MC, Fill and Subjunctive Forms practice screens.
- Fixed 'Seconds left to record' message in Listening and Pronunciation section.
- Left only one Stop button in Listening and Pronunciation section for both recording and 'Play all'.
- Many other small tweaks and improvements.
- Added section to practice Irregular Preterite Verbs in Level 2 Fill In questions
- Added section to practice Irregular Future Verbs in Level 2 Fill In questions
- Added section to practice Irregular Conditional Verbs in Level 3 Fill In questions
- Added separate sections in both multiple choice and fill in to practice all Spanish adjectives
- Scores are now added to the log file without having to answer all of the questions
- Help button on multiple choice screen now works correctly
- Two choices of the same word no longer show in multiple choice questions
- eliminated keycode registration
- added new vocabulary
- added Card Matching, Scrambled Words and What Did You Say? games
- added extra sound pack